This week was full of work. But it was also full of cake!
While we used the last week mainly to arrive at our new work places, setting up our hardware and software, this week the real work on the project begun.
At the beginning of the week we adjusted the rough timing we made for the project and entered them in a Hansoft project. We also commited to the milestones of the project and the targets we would like to achieve within each 1-week sprint. They are tough (i.e. a bit red time-wise), but doable!
The rest of the week was mainly used to dive into the Play Framework, the framework of our choice. The main points why we decided to use it were:
- Java/Scala-based: We really didn’t want to use PHP and (affordable) .NET servers are very rare. So Java stand to reason.
- Structured: The structure of the framework is clean and plausible and it pushes you to keep your project clean and structured, too.
- Modular: The core framework is nice and small, so you get a good overview very quickly. However you can get additional functionality easily by adding further plugins.
- Tested: First advice to use this framework came from my good friend Jan Tammen, an experienced Java software developer. He made very good experiences with it in several projects. As we heard about later the networking page LinkedIn is using this framework, too. So it can’t be that bad!
- Active development: Just on Tuesday the official version 2.1 was released which points out enough that this project is quite alive.
We will see if we made the right decision, but so far we didn’t find many negative sides.
The work was fun, but there was one thing which made the week even better: A lot of cake!
I can’t imagine the last time I ate cake every single day of a week. Which is a good sign, I guess, otherwise I would look a bit different today (or would have to do a lot more sports). But this week there were a lot of occasions to get a sweet piece of cake.
Here’s the quick overview:
- On Monday Anke brought some muffins to celebrate the maternity of a friend
- On Tuesday Nick and I brought some carrot cake and pastries for our start in the office (the week before we were too busy because of the game jam)
- The cake and the pastries last for Wednesday, too 🙂
- On Thursday it was Lena’s birthday with self-made cake (see picture) and brownies!
- On Friday I finished the last pieces of the birthday cake before Tahsin could throw it away (which would have been a shame)
There is a lot of fun and high spirits here in the office in a normal week. So you can imagine how much fun it was in this year’s cake week! 😉
That said, we wish you a nice weekend! If you can, have some cake! We won’t…